Roasted Cauliflower Soup
This dairy free, soy free, gluten free, veggie-laden soup comes together in a breeze!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil), divided
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- chopped bacon, scallions, and shredded cheddar cheese (optional) for toppings
- 3-4 cups precooked chicken (either freshly cooked or leftovers is fine. The meat off a rotisserie chicken works great!)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cauliflower on a large nonstick baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Place pan in oven and roast 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is tender, stirring once. Remove pan and set aside. While the cauliflower is roasting, melt remaining coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often to keep it from burning. Add the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and then lower temperature to a simmer. Puree the roasted cauliflower in a blender or food processor before adding to the pot. You may need to do this in batches. Add the chopped chicken and frozen corn (don't bother thawing first). The soup should be thick and creamy at this point. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Top with scallions, bacon, and cheddar for a hearty meal!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6-8 bowls