I painted the dining room to match the adjoining kitchen. When I finished tiling the backsplash, I had a bit of tile leftover. I wanted to carry it into the dining room since I loved it so much. I throught about framing some and hanging it but wasn't a fan when I actually tried it. So I went with a pair of sconces. I used a leftoverside cabinet panel and kick board from redoing the kitchen.
The only other thing I needed was the corner bead.
After doing the backsplash in the kitchen I realized I needed to cover the edges- this worked perfectly.
I grabbed my trusty tile nippers and chewed through the tiles that had an overhang.
The edges actually came out fairly straight this time.
So I laid the tiles out and trimmed the board to fit the tiles.
Everything got a thick layer of liquid nails to keep it down.
The lip at the bottom is for the candle shelf.
I grouted and cut the corner bead at 45 degree angles to make the corners
screwing the candle shelf on took 5 very carefully measured screws.
I had extra 1/4 round from finishing the floor trim so I added that to the front and sides of the shelf to finish it. Any raw edges of the gray pieces were painted with matching paint.
I used 2 small screw eyes and heavy picture wire to hang these.
The drywall anchors used are meant to hold a lot more weight than these sconces- which made me feel safe hanging them.
Later on I swapped out the small white votives for larger matching grey ones and used liquid nails to secure them to the shelf