The previous owners took basically everything off the walls- everything that wasn't broken. This coat rack was left behind and I didn't hate it. But it was broken.
So I moved one of the inside hooks to the outside, removed the other inside hook and attached a basket meant for the shower. It's the perfect place for Husband and I to hang our coats, keys, and dump random pocket treasures.
Next on the list was our garage hall nook. We had the option to turn the pantry into a mudroom or try to put a small mudroom into this odd nook. I cook. I cook a lot! So the pantry leaving wasn't an option. That sucker is filled and I couldn't be happier. This meant that we had to fit a bench and some cubbies into this odd dust trap of a corner. While browsing Pinterest at 3am I found this image:
It was exactly what I wanted! I drew up the dimensions I wanted and handed them over to husband. He began cutting wood and looking for studs. Our trusty stud finder found a "stud" that was 3" wide. Husband used a drill to confirm it wasn't a stud. It was our sewer vent pipe. Harmless, easy to patch, and no liquid passes through it. But word to the wise- DON'T USE A DRILL TO LOOK FOR STUDS! We got lucky that this was just a vent. So this guy got patched up and I didn't even have to do a perfect job mudding it as it was about to be covered with beadboard.
We put quarter round in the gap at the front of the boxes to make it look more polished. That's what the gap was for.
The top was built in the exact opposite order of the bottom. Plywood attached to the vertical supports, and then 2"x2" pieces into the studs on top of that, and screwed from the bottom of the plywood into the 2"x2"s.
Here is the quarter round and face trim going in. Quarter round is literally a fat dowel cut into quarters. Look around your house at the baseboards- it's likely everywhere. The stuff is cheap.
Then plywood went on top of those. The chair rail in our house is gorgeous and I couldn't imagine ripping any out unnecessarily so we decided to work around it. The bench support.
We had leftover hardwood pieces from doing the floors and decided to use those on the top of the bench. Everything except the bench top will be painted white and caulked to make it look more finished and custom.
For those who don't know me- I bake. I love it. So I volunteered to handle sweets for all of my son's classroom parties. Here are the adorable little cookies I came up with for his Halloween party.
I came across the photo on the left of C when she was just 3 days old. I had to see if she still fit for a side by side 16 months later. It's amazing how much they grow those first few years.
Her house consists of 2 storage bins with insulation between the layers and a PVC coupling entrance that tilts downward to help keep the weather out. She sleeps there every night and even hangs out there during rainstorms. It makes my heart happy to see her cozy.
The next project on the list is the dining room. I'm adding molding to the lower half of the walls, painting everything, adding stripes to 2 walls, and redoing the dated light fixture by painting it and adding a ton of bling. From old country to classy modern!!